Best Practices: How to Hire and Retain Remote Developers
The influence of technology is a crucial aspect of the modern organization. The rapid pace at which technology is advancing is facilitating an ability for organizations to expand. In today’s world, there are people from around the world who have the skills and abilities to work in a wide range of projects and positions. Hiring an onsite team can be a very costly method In some many cases, financial constraints mean that it’s not even a practical option. With the increasing need for affordable answers, remote employees have become a reliable answer to many problems.
An increasing amount of professionals, such as developers, are opting to work from home. This has paved the way for many organizations who are embracing the culture of the remote developer. The advantages of hiring remote help can be many. Not only are you free from the burden of being geographically bound in the search for your employees, but you gain the perspectives of different people from around the world. In this article, we will discuss the methods of hiring and retaining remote developers.
How to hire a remote team
When hiring remote developers, since they typically aren’t interviewing in person, you have to be diligent when assessing their skills. There are some prerequisites for any aspiring candidate wanting to work remotely. They should have a propensity to action, be self-motivated, be priority driven, trustworthy and excellent communicators. Jobrack has come up with a comprehensive guide which packs in a lot of helpful information on remote hiring.
The steps you should be following to complete a successful hiring campaign are as follows:
- Willingness to cooperate and have adaptive qualities: Because they are working with a large team, members of which may be based all across the globe, good remote workers should possess a willingness and ability to cooperate. Similarly, the aspiring candidate should be able to adapt to the work culture of your organization.
- Past Freelancing: Traditional training of a remote staff member can be technically difficult and sometimes impossible to conduct. An applicant’s past freelance work experience should be considered along with their other accomplishments. Their work history will help determine whether they are suitable or eligible for your particular project.
- Excellent Communication: The candidate must possess excellent communication skills as they are involved with projects in different time zones with people around the globe. In spite of the location constraint, the applicant must have the ability to communicate clearly with his or her supervisors in order for this kind of an arrangement to be successful.
Managing a remote team of developers is of utmost importance. If you’re a manager entrusted with the task of dealing with remote workers, a key to building positive employee-to-employer relationships is providing a structured rewards and recognition program.
It may be a daunting task for some managers to do this, so below are some tips to help you.
- Checking on them regularly: This should be done, not only to monitor your employees but to show them that you are there. Regular meetings can be scheduled. Online tools like Skype, Web Messenger, Hip Chat, Slack, etc., make it easier to conduct video or audio meeting sessions with overseas workers. One on one sessions can be organized for process intensive training. Interacting with your employees regularly in a friendly manner instills a sense of reassurance in the minds of remote employees.
- Rewards and Bonuses: Rewards and bonuses are a great way for keeping your employees in a positive working mood. Not all employees give priority to the salary alone; they also search for additional benefits. Since traditional perks like housing allowances, food or transportation cannot be offered to remote workers. Instead, you offer alternative’s, such as specialty training and ways to advance in your organization.
- Keep them updated: Remote employees do not have the advantage of being present when major decisions are being made, so it is important that all important information be relayed to your remote team. This not only eliminates any sense of doubt in your employee’s mind, but it also helps the team to work in a coordinated and efficient way.
By using such methods of hiring and managing remote developers, your organization can reap the full benefits of employee expansion. It is an advantage for a company to hire remote workers, in reducing costs and increasing overall profitability. Acquiring remote workers has the added benefit of canvassing talent that you otherwise might have missed out on. Thus, remote developers ultimately help a company actualize its fullest potential.